John V. de Guzman, MD
Diplomate, American Board of Obesity Medicine
A vast majority of patients who join our weight loss clinic are self-proclaimed “diet experts”. At the first visit, they share a long list of diet attempts. Many have been successful for the short term, but have later regained. Now they’re looking for long-term results.
So how do I teach patients to move from being a “diet expert” to a successful “weight manager”? The answer is resilience. Here, we’ll explore resiliency as another tool to use during your weight loss journey.
What is Resiliency?
Here are several definitions we like. Resiliency is the ability to:
- despite adversity.
- overcome challenges and bounce back stronger, wiser, and more powerful.
- manage challenges, recover from them, and improve.
As you can see, being resilient doesn’t mean a person won’t experience difficulties.
Can I Learn to Be Resilient?
Yes! It’s like learning to ride a bike. Turning adversity into advantage allows you to be successful regardless of what happens along the way.
How Can a Weight Loss Program Create Resiliency?
- We help you set, clarify, and focus on goals. As you challenge yourself, you’ll build confidence regardless of what happened in the past. We’ll help you avoid the expectation of perfection, and expect setbacks. And of course, celebrate all the wins.
- We’ll explore your strengths to prepare you for the challenges ahead.
- We’ll help you embrace change and become more resourceful and flexible.
- We’ll practice self-compassion, positive self-talk, and optimism.
- You’ll discover how to practice mindfulness. How to manage and deal with unproductive emotions.
- The hardest part? Tenacity! Let’s keep trying, be optimistic, be accountable, and learn from our lapses as you develop a winning frame of mind.
- Above all, we will collaborate. We want to invest and spend time with you. The end result is good health and well being.
This is How You Lose the Weight, Once and For All
If you’re ready to say goodbye to quick fixes that never last? And you’re serious about losing the weight for good? We’re the experts you can trust to guide you through a weight loss program that will not only take the weight off but keep it off.
Schedule a consultation with us today.