Scottsdale Weightloss Center

Why You Should Drink More Water & How


Diana Bone FNP-C

We’ve all heard from our mothers to drink more fluids, especially in Arizona when the weather is over 100 degrees. Even during a medical weight loss program, your doctor will recommend a set number of fluid ounces.

According to the National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine, the latest recommendation is 125oz for men and 91oz for women.

80% of the daily requirements of water is consumed in liquid form and the other 20% in foods like fruits and vegetables.

But why do we need all this fluid and what is it used for in our body?

Why Water is Important for Our Bodies

  1. Water helps with weight loss. Our body sends out signals of hunger when dehydrated. So, drink water first instead of food.
  2. Water helps increase energy. Consuming 500 ml of water will increase your metabolic rate by 30% and can last over an hour.
  3. Water reduces headaches. Many studies have shown dehydration can trigger migraines and headaches. Stay hydrated as prevention.
  4. Water helps regulate body temperature. Sweat regulates body temperature. When we sweat, we lose fluids that need to be replaced.
  5. Water protects the tissues, spinal cord, and joints. Fluids help lubricate our bodies with improves mobility during exercise.
  6. Water helps excrete wastes. Fluids help the kidneys filter out waste through urination. They work more efficiently and prevent kidney stones.
  7. What helps prevent constipation. Self-explanatory 😉
  8. Water helps with physical performance. During exercise, we may lose up to 10% of body weight in water and become dehydrated. Water helps with strength, power, and endurance.
  9. Water helps with digestion. Drinking fluids before, during, and after meals will help the body break down food.
  10. Water helps improve overall mood. Dehydration can increase fatigue.
  11. Water helps the skin glow. Hydrated skin promotes collagen production which makes us look younger.

8 Easy Ways to Drink More Water

  1. Carry a water bottle with you wherever you go. There are even water bottles that tell you how much to drink at certain times of the day.
  2. Keep track of your water intake. There are several phone app that will keep track and remind you to drink your water. A few examples are Hydro Coach and Water Reminder. Many of these apps are free.
  3. Pace yourself. By lunch, we should be done with half of the day’s water intake. If not, before lunch, drink water before eating.
  4. Drink 1 glass of water (8oz) per hour while working. A typical workday is 8 hours and that gets to 64oz of water by the end of the workday.
  5. Flavor your water. There are many non-caloric ways to flavor your water. Try Crystal Light, Mio water enhancer, or even add a little cucumber, mint, lemon, or lime in your water.
  6. Drink tea. If you’re sick of flavored water walk down the aisle and pick out a few tea flavors to try.
  7. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Consume those with a higher water content like watermelon, cucumbers, zucchini, peppers, spinach, or tomatoes.
  8. Have a beverage with every snack and meal. Not soda or juice, WATER.

The Takeaway

Dehydration, even a mild case, can affect you mentally and physically.

Make sure that you get enough water each day, no matter your goal. It’s one of the best things yo for your overall health.

This is How You Lose the Weight, Once and For All

If you’re ready to say goodbye to quick fixes that never last? And you’re serious about losing the weight for good? We’re the experts you can trust to guide you through a weight loss program that will not only take the weight off but keep it off.
Schedule a consultation with us today.

We're the experts you can trust to guide you through a weight loss program that will not only take the weight off but keep it off.

Our Patients Get Results

Click below to read real patient success stories.

Recent Posts


Upcoming Classes

[MEC id="2626"]

There’s no content to show here yet.