Many fad diets focus on a single food, such as cabbage or grapefruit, as the core of the weight loss diet. There is no one magic fruit, no miracle food to help someone lose weight quickly. Most of these diets are based on high fiber plant based foods that help lower bad cholesterol and increase the metabolism.
- Blueberries and many other berries are high in antioxidants.
- Broccoli is a high fiber green vegetable rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, and iron.
- Losing weight often requires getting protein from a source other than red meat. Almonds are one of the most nutritious nuts without having a high fat content.
- Fruits containing high levels of pectin, such as apples, make a dieter feel more full and actually limits a cells fat absorption.
- Citrus fruits, such as grapefruit, attack fat on several fronts. The fruit contains vitamin C that dilutes fat and citrus fruits are known to increase the metabolism while lowering insulin levels.
- Spicy foods such as curry, hot peppers, and horseradish give the metabolism a boost while providing taste to diet foods.