In the February 2011 issue of the magazine Obesity, there is a great literature review of several commonly used food supplements. The goal of the article is to summarize and evaluate all readily available systematic reviews of food supplements for body weight reduction.
Here is the summary:
The ones with a positive effect: Weight Loss
- Camelia sinensis (Green Tea)- EGCG effect on Weight loss and Maintenance
- Chromium Piccinolate (a small effect)
- Chitosan (proven short term effect only)
The ones with a negative effect: No Weight Loss
- Guar Gum
- Bitter Orange (Citrus Aurantium)
The ones with not enough data to determine weight loss or no weight loss: Unknown
- CLA (conjugated linoleic acid)
By themselves these are just supplements but can be a part of a healthy diet program. Please discuss with your doctor the proper dosing and possible side effects before using them.