During your medical weight loss program, you will be introducing a series of new activities and habits into your daily life. This will mean that other habits will have to move over. There isn’t enough room for everything. Part of bringing in new habits is accepting that it is time to let go of the old ones, and some of these are harder to release than others.
Here are a few tips for accepting changes that are necessary during your medical weight loss program:
- Don’t think in absolutes: Your life is constantly evolving. Just because something doesn’t work out right now, it doesn’t mean it won’t work in the future. Thinking in terms like never and always isn’t going to make change any easier. Think instead in phrases like not right now.
- Reinvent traditions: It is amazing how easily a habit takes hold of sentiment and becomes a tradition. Going out for ice cream every weekend is an unhealthy habit, but once it is turned into a family outing that everyone looks forward to it becomes a tradition. The tradition here is the time spent together, not the eating of ice cream.
- Don’t fall into these tradition traps. During your medical weight loss program, push the bad habit out the door and switch up the tradition to something that is better for everyone involved.
- Give yourself the benefit of the doubt: Change is never easy, but hiding behind thoughts like I can’t do this will only inhibit you from reaching your goal. When confronted with a challenging task, give yourself the benefit of the doubt and believe that you can accomplish what you’ve set out for.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. That is why your medical weight loss doctor is there, for help and assistance during your weight loss program. The program is designed for you to have access to ongoing support, so take advantage of it.
The weight loss process looks different for everyone. There are going to be challenges along the way that you might not have anticipated at the start. Don’t let those challenges stop you from achieving great things.
Stress will happen during your weight loss program, but it doesn’t need to rule you. Think positively about your weight loss goals and don’t give into these negative mind traps. And remember, when you need a little extra support, just contact your weight loss doctor.